Competitive Power Ventures (CPV), with headquarters in Silver Spring, MD and offices in Braintree, MA
and Sugar Land, TX is a major North American power generation development and asset management
company driven to modernize the nation’s energy infrastructure. CPV is committed to delivering carbon
reducing, cost-effective, and highly efficient power generation solutions that prioritize clean energy
technologies, the commercial delivery of grid-scale renewables, and the promise of a more sustainable
We know the energy transition is challenging, and to further our commitment to deliver responsible,
sustainable, and balanced energy alternatives we launched CPV Retail Energy in 2022. CPV Retail Energy
is focused on providing retail C&I customers in the deregulated service areas of PJM with robust energy
supply options, real sustainability solutions through simple retail contracting agreements, and the
opportunity to leverage CPV’s market expertise and portfolio of generation assets to derive maximum
value from their energy spend.
CPV Retail Energy is looking for a talented and energetic Business Development Manager to play a
crucial role in driving our sales efforts as part of our indirect Sales and Origination team. The ideal
candidate will have a proven history of exceeding sales targets and a passion for building and
maintaining strong customer relationships.
This position requires an elevated level of initiative, excellent communication and presentation skills,
superior time management skills, and an initiative-taking approach to achieving sales objectives as a top
performer. The ideal candidate will bring an established book of business and customer contacts that
will drive an actionable pipeline of qualified sales leads and opportunities. The role is highly dynamic,
with complex deal negotiation skills and strategic partnership development experience a core
requirement for success.
The primary objective for this role is to generate, negotiate, close, and manage sales of electricity
products and related energy services with an emphasis on delivering CPV branded sustainability
solutions to C&I end-use customers of targeted broker and channel partner verticals.
This position will report to the Vice President, Retail Sales in the Sugar Land, TX office with flexible office
location alternatives considered for the right candidate.
- This position is responsible for achieving sales quotas consistent with established gross and net margin requirements, maintaining an acceptable win rate %, and delivering designated MWh volumes targets for defined market segments.
- Achieve target margin goals by selling competitive electric commodities and associated
renewable/sustainability products through designated indirect channels.
- Prospect, identify, and generate new business opportunities through various methods including
cold calling, networking, and referrals.
- Conduct thorough research and analysis to understand potential customers’ needs, preferences,
and pain points, and tailor sales strategies accordingly.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with existing and potential customers to establish a loyal
- Conduct effective sales presentations that highlight the features, benefits, and value
propositions of CPV Retail Energy products and services.
- Understand and effectively communicate the unique selling points and competitive advantages
of our offerings.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and implement strategic sales plans to meet
and exceed sales targets.
- Attend industry events, conferences, and trade shows to promote the CPV Retail Energy brand
and build networking relationships to facilitate sales of our associated products/services.
- Stay informed on our competitors’ products, pricing, and strategies to effectively position our
offerings in the market.
- Continuously develop and enhance product knowledge and sales skills through ongoing training
and professional development opportunities.
- Drive sales through effective use of the CRM tool, obtaining needed usage information,
preparing offers, negotiating, and closing of deals within the prescribed period, obtaining
authorization on contracts, exhibits, and other required documentation, and acting as a liaison
between operations and the broker/customer as needed.
- Effective management of multiple broker relationships to achieve and maintain an acceptable
- Maintain and manage all aspects of the broker relationship, including pre-and post-sales
- Support the internal functional groups by working collaboratively and effectively with all
- Identify, recruit and train perspective brokers on CPV Retail Energy products, services, and value
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business, marketing, management, engineering, or related field.
MBA is a plus.
- Minimum 5 years’ indirect retail sales experience in the deregulated electricity markets of the
major ISO’s, with emphasis on PJM.
- Knowledge and understanding of electric utility tariffs, retail electric product structures, PPA’s,
VPPA’s, and associated sustainability solutions.
- Must have a proven record of success in achieving and exceeding sales targets in a competitive
sales environment with superior knowledge of complex portfolio-style products.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to overcome objections and
convert leads into sales.
- Initiative-taking and driven professional who thrives in a fast-paced, purposeful sales
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
- In-depth knowledge of the deregulated electricity industry and a passion for staying updated on
impactful industry trends including ESG initiatives, energy sustainability, and renewable energy
development and delivery.
- Proven ability to build strong professional and broker/customer relationships.
- Confident professional demeanor and appearance.
- Accomplished people skills, including establishing rapport with targeted brokers/clients through
regular prescriptive contact activities.
- Meticulous with strong negotiation and organizational skills.
- Effective computer and analytical skills including proficiency in the use and application of
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with sales automation applications and CRM tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be self-directed with the ability to learn new business processes and products quickly.
- Previous work experience in energy markets, renewable energy development, energy and
sustainability consulting, or a related energy field is highly preferred.
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check and financial credit check.
CPV holds all employees to the highest ethical standards and is committed to conducting business with integrity, transparency, and honesty to ensure our success.
CPV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted: May 23, 2023
Sugar Land, TX